Slick bench rest to eliminate using artillery hold.

Saw a post somewhere, maybe here, of wrapping a shooting stick with paracord so you could just lay a springer on top and eliminate not having to put the hand under the stock. Was wondering if I used something like a teflon sheet on top of a sand bag, could I do the same. You would still have to grip the trigger stock lightly and put it against your cheek lightly but would be easier to hold steady on a target. Has anyone tried this?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
There are several ways that work for me with my TX200. I need the rest to be somewhat soft but not too soft. Wrapping several towels around a traditional rest. Very soft bags work for me as well. Here is a video of the soft bag at the range. One target is not great 89. The other is a 99 though. Typically in the 95 to 99 range at 50 feet.

This is what i use the slick silver ones

I've only recently acquired/used a bench. So far I've only shot my 2 pcps from it. The rifle on a bag. The carbine has a bipod. I've not used my springers yet on my bench; it has a little arm. I didn't use it yet.(wasn't comfortable even with just the table yet)Thinking I might go ahead and wrap that piece 🤔 but then I might not even use it bc I have bags🤷‍♂️🥴

Screenshot_20230416_141716_Chrome.jpg

I suggest a Protektor bag with a soft cloth on top for recoil. I shoot off of a deck railing so only the front of the rifle is supported unlike a traditional bench rest. A light hold and let the rifle slide on the bag.

I just made one out of walmart .89¢ pool noodle.. of the ones it had the best "feel". For a front stuffed sock rest.. only started using it yesterday but so far so good .. ill get a picture and edit in a bit..
noodle .jpg
noodle1.jpg
noodle2.jpg

I was looking for a small block of good memory foam to try, but walked past this and went hmmmm... Lol

Last edited:
Are any of you using slick rests seeing any change from shooting on the slick rest vs. shooting with the hand loosely under it? That is what I am shooting for. Thanks for all the good ideas.
Id guess everybody's opinion differs on what they feel or find best for them.

For what i say , he say , or some guy off the street says maybe all different or awkward to you and your shooting experience. Only you can know whats best for you..

Thats not to say not to take and try suggestions and apply them . Heck you may yake 3 suggestions and combine them into one great and comfortable you really like. The applying part is the critical part .. you got to go shoot , shoot ,shoot . Eventually it will come around..

I notice a lot of under lever guns on the rest. I heard they are more forgiving on hold then break barrels. Is that the case? My FWB 124 and especially my RWS 350 shoot poorly off a rest without my hand underneath it. I plan to try several of the methods described above. I also bought some teflon thin sheets on amazon. Was going to try that with a towel on the sand bag as one of the methods.

Thats the thing i experiment with and springer. What best can mimic the forend rested in my hand so to say. Too hard the recoil shock affects things, or too soft , ect... Using old tshirts rolled up worked great but they start to comptess and i have to reroll / fluff them back. So far the noodle maybe has too much bounce as it is above (???). Seeing its got the hollow center im thinking of a firmer stuffing in that hollow , maybe a broom handle or paper towel, cloth, ect. To help mqybe take some of the bounce out .. still too early to tell ive only shot off it maybe a day and a 1/2 .. i think overall the noodles material seems nice for the job ..

Reactions: Breeze and Frogy