View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for deep water Side imaging?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Humminbird

33 68.75%
  • Lowrance

12 25.00%
  • Garmin

3 6.25%

Deeper water Side imaging Brand Preference

Not trying to start the Ford vs Chevy debate.. just trying to get a little more insight on what seems to be more favorable in a given situation. I’m currently running Lowrance Lives with Active Imaging. My only experience with Humminbird is Pre-Mega. And I have no experience with Garmin.

My question is.. Graphing in deeper water scenarios (20 feet or more) which seems to give better Images while side imaging or even Down Imaging?

Personally I think my current Lowrance setup has better side images than the old “Pre-Mega” birds that I had, but I’m not very impressed with the Down Imaging views I get with the Lowrance. In fact I hardly ever use Down imaging due to that. Of course the 2D sonar is way better than my old Birds.

This is deeper water than 20' with a Humminbird Helix MEGA SI unit:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Very few people will be able to give any sort of meaningful input. Unless you have been able to see and use comparable models of each its just going to turn into the best is what I have at the moment.

4. Member
    How can anyone answer this unless they have experience using all 3 under real world circumstances and not in demo mode at the store?

5. Member
    I have used lowrance on a lake in one boat and humminbird on another boat scanning the same stuff in the same lake. The MEGA is the better between the two IMO. I have not used Garmin SI, only their DI which I thought worked well.

From what I have read Garmin SI works in the megahertz range like humminbird but I have not seen them in use side by side to compare.

6. Member
    That’s my point. I’m sure there are probably others who have experienced multiple brands of units and I would like to hear their opinions.

7. Member
    my old mans boat has the garmin with livescope and a helix 10 with mega si...theres no doubt for side imaging the humminbird is better than the garmin specifically for that type of imaging. However, livescope is its own game entirely, the 360 or any other type of imaging...im sorry but its not even a fair comparison.

The only thing i can relate a livescope to is an ice fishing flasher, except where you have a bar on a flasher, the livescope shows you a fish...except the fish can also be 25 feet away.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

8. Member
    I run electronics trips on Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend weekly. I’ve have played with every unit made just about and I can honestly say that Humminbird Mega imaging consistently provides the crispest pictures out there.

9. Member
    Electronic classes on how to maximize your units?...... I have two older hummingbirds but the new garmin is tempting

10. Member
    So, I'm currently running Lowrance Carbon with a combo of Lowrance's SS3D module and transducer and an Airmar TM150. I've also run Humminbird and Simrad, and have played around with Garmin and even Furuno on others' boats. Although I love this forum, I'm not really much of a bass guy. Rather, deeper water freshlake stripers are my personal favorite... If you want an honest opinion, mine would be that either of Lowrance or Humminbird has the capability of blowing your mind, side-imaging and down-imaging wise. BUT, regardless of the brand, you simply MUST be willing to invest time into making sure that your transducer install is perfect. That, in my opinion, matters much, much more than anything. Get it right, and either brand will process some incredible images. Get it wrong even slightly, and neither brand will live up to expectations.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywalls View Post
    So, I'm currently running Lowrance Carbon with a combo of Lowrance's SS3D module and transducer and an Airmar TM150. I've also run Humminbird and Simrad, and have played around with Garmin and even Furuno on others' boats. Although I love this forum, I'm not really much of a bass guy. Rather, deeper water freshlake stripers are my personal favorite... If you want an honest opinion, mine would be that either of Lowrance or Humminbird has the capability of blowing your mind, side-imaging and down-imaging wise. BUT, regardless of the brand, you simply MUST be willing to invest time into making sure that your transducer install is perfect. That, in my opinion, matters much, much more than anything. Get it right, and either brand will process some incredible images. Get it wrong even slightly, and neither brand will live up to expectations.
    This I run a Live 12 and use a SS3D module with the 3d transducer. Have seen on boats in action Humminbird Mega and I would say the images are extremely comparable with a slight edge to the Lowrance. Of course as Greywalls said that comes with a premium as I have an extra $1k in the SS3D module and transducer that I would not have with the HumminBird.

12. Member
    Had Lowrance and partner currently does but now have mega birds! Mega is much better side and down scan but I absolutely hate the birds waypoint management compared to Lowrance. I've came to the conclusion that I don't need to know there's a kitchen sink sunk just that it's hard and could hold fish!

13. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    This is deeper water than 20' with a Humminbird Helix MEGA SI unit:

Am I reading this right Wayne, you are using 455 KHz for SI?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDS723 View Post
    I run electronics trips on Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend weekly. I’ve have played with every unit made just about and I can honestly say that Humminbird Mega imaging consistently provides the crispest pictures out there.
    This is the general thought.

Check out Wheeler's YouTube videos. He is running all three by choice and feels each one is best at something different. He and most others in the know feel Lowrance has the best 2D and waypoint management, HB has the best SideScan and DownScan and Garmin has the best forward facing - LiveScope.

If you wanted the best overall, there is very little agreement on that but specific parts are not argued much.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishermn View Post
    Electronic classes on how to maximize your units?...... I have two older hummingbirds but the new garmin is tempting
    Yes sir. I set up and dial in units and teach how to use them to their maximum potential.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Am I reading this right Wayne, you are using 455 KHz for SI?
    Most folks I know including myself that run Humminbirds side scan with 455MHz. I watched a few videos and that was what was recommended to capture clear images farther out from the boat.
    Bass Boat