Coral Vue Hydros

Display Refugium? Thinking out loud...

falcooo

As my tank currently sits, everything is going great. So I am hesitant to rock the boat from what has been running so well, BUT I had an idea which I wouldn't even know where to begin. Though I think it could only help and actually look pretty nice with some research on the topic. I don't know anything about refugiums as I'm only several months into this salty side of the hobby and purchased an AIO. 

I currently have the set-up below. Reef tank on top and planted shrimp tank below.

.IMG_5547.thumb.JPG.6a2707f291d10a25fbd2fbd22192a65c.JPG

Since setting up the reef tank, I have extremely neglected the freshwater and merely been topping off whenever the splashing of the HOB filter on the lowly evaporated water levels annoys me.  So I'm thinking, at this point, why not turn the bottom tank into a display refugium with some nice looking macro and inverts.

Is this even a good idea given my tank is thriving thus far?

What all is needed to set up a successful refugium? How does it work?

Has anyone done something similar? Pictures?

• Like 1

Many ppl on here have done display refugiums. You would have to plumb the refugium to your tank- I've never plumbed a system so hopefully another member will chime in.

It would be pretty easy to drill the top tank, plumb it down to the bottom, then run a return back up. Or if you don't want to drill, you could pick up a siphon overflow.

IMO a display refugium sounds like a fantastic idea. I like the variety of colors and growth patterns that marine plants have. You could have a very cool setup if you go through with it.

5 hours ago, Joevember said:

Or if you don't want to drill, you could pick up a syphon overflow.

Good idea on the siphon overflow. Seems like a much more do-able option than drilling. 

Looks like I've got a lot of research to do to learn the basics of a refugium to plan this all out before going forward with it.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but in my limited research on sumps and fuges, people tend to shy away from the siphon overflows because of the potential (or inevitable) siphon breaking and flooding the room. If I ever add a sump I will be drilling. 

• Thanks 1