The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Baby acne? A rash? Yellow crust SOS

This started a week ago and it went from looking like bad acne, to a dry rash. Putting coconut oil on it seemed to make it worse when it was just acne so i just started washing it frequently with just a warm wash cloth. The acne part looked better for a little while but her ears began to get a yellow/ orange crust. Now that the crust has eased up the rest of her face has become severely dry combined with more acne. What can I do? I want to put aquaphor or something on the dry skin to help it from bleeding but I dont want to make the acne worse. Or is this even acne and actually eczema or a bad rash? Its starting to go onto her scalp and down her neck and chest.

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
3 Similar Discussions Found
25 Comments
Oldest First
m
momlafond

Try breast milk! I put it on all my kids’ baby acne and it works wonders

B
Bubs55

Mine had this on her eyebrows. I did nothing and it went away eventually.

tqg2006

Looks like cradle cap. My first had it and pediatrician said Aveeno 2x a day and Aquaphor right before bed. It cleared up pretty quickly. I'd send pics to pediatrician to confirm.

A
Allisoncampbelll

It will slowly go away

p
phillipshm

My sons started to get that bad (started as normal baby acne) and ended up being a cow protein allergy

p
phillipshm

as soon as he started a rash like this he got bloody poops so I guess it was a blessing bc I was able to cut the dairy out immediately and the rash cleared up pretty quickly after that. I would test the stools JIC

p
phillipshm

that is so crazy! The test itself took like 2 minutes. They literally swabbed the poop diaper and put it on the test and it turns a color in a couple minutes if positive for blood. I would be switching offices if they can’t do a pretty standard test

p
phillipshm

also- check out dairy free breastfeeding groups on Facebook. I joined two. I just joined a few days ago and there is so much knowledge and help! I’ve learned so much in just a few days.

b
bebeontheway1

My toddler’s was like this when he was a newborn. Ended up having yellow crust near his eyebrows and forehead. I’m pretty sure the pediatrician prescribed some type of ointment if I remember correctly. It did end up being caused though from milk protein allergy. Once I changed my diet everything cleared up quickly!

b
bebeontheway1

sorry I just now saw this! Yes he also had mucusy poops and really the only reason we found out is after he had blood in his stool. He also seemed stuffy and congested a lot

Betancourtbaby1

My son looked the exact same way and it was driving me nuts. What helped us was aquafor!! Warm bathing with no soap on face, wipe with water and aquafor morning and night. Instantly helped.

z
zayra93

My baby had the same issue! And he was so uncomfortable we could tell he was itchy, his pediatrician told us we could use hydrocortisone and I did put it on him one day then read that hydrocortisone is not good for babies, so even though we got the ok from his pediatrician I immediately stopped putting it on him. What helped tremendously was the aveeno eczema Therapy night balm. We clean his face and neck twice a day and make sure it’s completely dry and my husband goes in with the balm. His skin looks so much better! I attached some pictures.

S
SGapp1

Poor kiddo. I second the Tubby Todd all over ointment! Hope you find something that helps!

p
phillipshm
@SGapp1,

I was skeptical, but my doctors office had samples. I’ve been using the one sample for a couple weeks and my sons acne has cleared up pretty much altogether. The stuff def works!

junieter

Def cradle cap and baby acne exactly what my son had. aveeno eczema therapy worked better than tubby Todd. It went away within 3 days! I bought a regular one not baby version and it really did wonders for my baby!