The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Head lice or dandruff?

So my son doesn’t have anything in his hair but my scalp has been realllyyyy freaking itchy lately and I’m wondering if he may have brought something home on his clothes. I noticed these little white specks in my hair and I’m wondering if you think these look like lice eggs or pieces of dandruff. Any advice to fix it would be appreciated as well.

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
9 Similar Discussions Found
8 Comments
Oldest First
t
tpiekarski82

It's too hard to tell in the picture, if you have head lice another person would be able to see them moving on your scalp so my suggestion is have someone else look at your scalp, if you don't have someone else who can look for you get a fine tooth comb and run it from root to tip and then look at the comb again lice will be moving and you will be able to see them on the comb, if no lice are found the itchiness can also be caused by dry scalp which also causes dandruff so try using a dandruff shampoo if checking for lice turns up negative

S
Stephanie3787

If it flakes off when you rub your fingers over it- it’s dandruff. If it seems like it’s glued to the hair it would be an egg

M
Melaniebecomesamom
@Stephanie3787,

this ^ also think lice is more consistent in shape like tear drops and dandruff more random shapes - but may be wrong

w
wnc89

Tbh my kids both got head lice from daycare and the eggs in there hair were black and didn’t move like stuck to the hair. Just get a live kit from the store it won’t hurt and it’s pretty easy at least for the peace of mind. I couldn’t I took my tots to the hair dresser and paid $400 to get the treatments ����‍♀️����‍♀️����‍♀️ I would never suggest going that route tho.

twinmomsmbc

there was a lice outbreak last year at my kids school, and I hired someone to come out to our house to treat them ($125 per kid). she found one live louse and no eggs between the two kids, so they had just been exposed. she told me the eggs are sticky and will look white on black hair and are much harder to see in blonde hair, like my kids have. try and get one out and put it on white paper. look it up online (there are pics of eggs on white paper) and see if it looks like them.

s
sonshineofmylife
@twinmomsmbc,

this is great information. Thank you! I will keep it in mind if it happens. I don’t think I can do it myself ��

s
sarahleecook

Thank you for this post!! Dealing with this myself.

b
babyforme111

I too am dealing with it myself, I'm not sure if I brought it home (work in peds) or if he brought it home from daycare, he had a big clump of what I thought was dandruff cause it brushed away. But it's clearly lice and I've had it for at least two weeks and just thought it was dandruff so now I have to treat everything including myself oh and bonus I'm 27 and NEVER had lice before. now the daycare is closing tomorrow, I'm quitting my job and now we have lice.