Advertisement
March 2017

Warning TRIGGER: Baby dies in tetra bed :(

just read an article about a poor family in Canberra who lost their 2 month old baby from suffocating sleeping in one of those tetra beds. :( 

just a reminder that they are NOT safe and NOT worth the risk! This baby's death was not recorded as a SIDS death, it was asphyxiation but 100% preventable by following the SIDS Safe sleep guidelines by sleeping babies in an empty, flat firm cot with no blankets or pillows. 

Poor things. Breaks my heart. 

http://trib.al/KWchKbG
Opens a new window
no reactions
Advertisement | page continues below
9 comments
  • Anything like this is not safe. 
    user uploaded image
  • Thats really really terrible for the family :(
  • That's just heartbreaking. You sort of think it would be common sense not to use an insert like that but we don't always know. That's why knowledge and awareness is so important. So so sad for the family. I see she lost her baby in 2015. Pictures of the children's cemetery were so awfully sad too.
    Advertisement | page continues below
  • lilwifey said:
    That's just heartbreaking. You sort of think it would be common se…
    I think she just had her rainbow baby so is in a better place and can talk about her loss. She is also trying to get those sleep inserts banned...

not sure if i agree with banning a product. But they are unsafe and don't come with adequate warnings....
  • Can see why she wants them banned or have warning labels on them. Quick look on the tetra sleep site says ZERO about the suffocation risk. 
    user uploaded image
  • I did the same check when I saw this post. Couldn't find any warning which there should be, there are warnings on almost everything these days even items where common sense should prevail.  

This is so heart breaking for the family, glad she has her rainbow baby to get her through now. 
  • Horrified me that it is advertised as an alternative to bassinet and cradle. 
  • yes also did a quick check... it's clearly not a safe alternative but if you were having a first baby and no mum friends you wouldn't know, even a 2nd time mum as she was...

and the cemetery

my littles name name is also zara :( 
  • How completely heartbreaking. 

As a first time mother in a country like Australia, I had always assumed that nothing would be sold for a baby sleeping if the product carried unnecessary risks. You hear all about the regulations and standards for cots and assume it must be the same for other sleep products like bassinets, cosleepers, etc but it is just not the case. Early on I would have thought that if it was sold in Australia, in a reputable store as a sleep product that it would be safe, just like cots and car seats here. 

We definitely need more awareness about what is and isn't covered by the safety standards. 
End of comments
Track your pregnancy on our free #1 pregnancy & baby app
phone with BabyCenter app
Advertisement