Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdy113

hand pollinating cucumbers question

mdy113
8 years ago

so my vines are growing nice (burplass hybrid and boston pickling) i have either all females or all males at any given time, slowly starting to see both at same time, so my question is these flowers are tiny compared to my squash bush plant, how are you all hand pollinating successfully? with the squash q tip made it real easy, but these are to small for q tip, or even using the male flower cut off and kind of forcing it onto the female. any tricks?

Comments (14)

• Shayne Campbell
    8 years ago

Cucumbers blooms are naturally smaller than Squash blooms. I would not worry as the bees and other lil critters will pollinate them for you. The higher up they are allowed to grow the more attractive they become to the pollinators. That being said, if you are not patient you can buy ''Bloom Set'' or
    similar product. It works great on all melons and tomatoes.

I
    have also learned that if I let them grow up on a tomato rack or fence
    they do a lot better than on the ground. Last week was my first harvest
    of Cucumbers and i picked Five. I generally will pick 50-75 by harvest
    end. Here are some pics of mine. They are 7 ft tall.

• mdy113
    Original Author
    8 years ago

very nice pic, i just dont have the space. also my first year trying cucumber vines, so we'll see how it goes, have a feeling will have to go from trellis to my fence (its a condo). just trying to figure out moving the pollen around since a closed off condo patio not to many bees around and insects around. and not used to seeing these tiny flowers, i must have broke 1 or 2 males already lol

• Miss_Moose (Winnipeg, Canda. Zone 2)
    8 years ago

cucumber flowers are small, but they're not That small. If you can hand pollinate a tomato plant which has even smaller flowers with a small paint brush, you can do it with a cucumber no problem. :) Just take a little paint brush with a somewhat pointed end (they sell them at Michael's), and go to town!

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

I Thought Pollination of Cucumbers Made Them Bitter.....

• mdy113
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tomatoes are self pollinating, that much I know. That's the best part growing peppers and tomatoes and eggplants, their flowers have both parts. I'll try the flower breaking the petals again and maybe a paint brush thanks

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

Agree with Jean. If you don't have any bees then just use the male flower to pollinate the females directly. No need for a brush.

"I Thought Pollination of Cucumbers Made Them Bitter."

I think that might be true of some parthenocarpic cucumbers that set fruit without pollination (such as those grown in greenhouses). But most cukes grown outside need to be pollinated to set fruit. Bitterness can also be caused by the growing conditions.

Rodney

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

I'm Asking Because I'm Growing Crystal Lemon's and Now I'm Wondering if They Need Pollinating.....

Can Anyone Help Please?

Thanks

• garockgrower
    8 years ago

I'm Asking Because I'm Growing Crystal Lemon's and Now I'm Wondering if They Need Pollinating....

Rodney's post is spot on.
    Lemon cukes, Crystal Lemon/Crystal Apple, are not parthenocarpic and DO need pollinating to set fruit. Proper watering will help prevent bitterness in them.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

ninecrow - the difference here is hand pollinating. All cukes except the parthenocarpic varieties need pollinating to produce fruit so your's will too. It has nothing to do with bitterness.

The issue is how that pollination is done - by hand or by nature. 99% of it is done by insects but you can choose to try hand pollination if you wish but it isn't necessary. Like rockgrower said, bitterness is water related and can also be due to leaving the fruit on the vine too long.

Dave

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Thank You For You Help Guys

XXX

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Will Need to Play Bee as well because My Crystal Lemon is inside....

What Time is Best to Be a Bee?

Thanks

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Bump

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Early AM

Dave